Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My husband and I have been married for 48 years. I helped

him buy the land and...
My husband and I have been married for 48 years. I helped him buy the land and build two warehouses by working. I just found out by accident that my name is ***** ***** the deed of either warehouse and he refuses to put my name on them. They are worth about &900,000. Does that mean I don't own them just him? Barbara
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Jacksonville , Florida
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: I'm not sure what you mean
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that my name is ***** ***** the deed and it should be. He kept this a secret u till I found the deeds and he says that doesn't mean anything. Can he sell them and keep all of the money even though I helped pay for them?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2017
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me some time to read your facts and type my response.

If you receive an email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Were these acquired DURING the marriage?

Ok. Do you need more facts

Any property acquired during a marriage, except by gift or inheritance, is presumed to be community property regardless of whose name is ***** ***** ownership documents. So in the event of a divorce the presumption that it belongs to both of you is in your favor.

As to whether he can sell it and pocket the money, unfortunately the answer is yes, at least possibly. Normally a title company will not issue a policy of title insurance if real estate was purchased during a marriage unless both spouses sign off on it since the title insurance companies understand the concept of community property law. However, if someone is willing to buy the property without getting title insurance, then it is not as likely the issue would be raised although if they go through an attorney the buyer would certainly be informed of that. The only way to get your name added to the property at this point, assuming your husband doesn't do it voluntarily, is to file a lawsuit either seeking an Injunction to prevent him from selling the property without notifying you in advance OR a lawsuit requiring him to sign a deed adding your name to the property.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

How can he add my name to the property

The simplest way is through a deed although you would want to get it drafted by a local attorney to be sure the legal description is correct. A court order would also do it but your cost would greatly exceed the cost of the deed.

Can he do it online

There are form places online but I would never recommend having a deed done by anyone other than a local attorney because the slightest mistake can cost thousands to correct.

As a young attorney I once saw a woman appear at a hearing who had decided to use a form for a deed rather than pay the attorney what they were asking in a divorce. However, she had made a couple of mistakes in it and at the time I saw her had spent $20,000 trying to correct the problems and was barely half-way completed. So that was an important lesson I learned very early.

Thank you so much

You are very welcome. Please don't forget to issue a 5-star positive rating so I can get credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

I am about to go offline for the evening. I will be back online tomorrow so if you have any follow up questions please ask them in this thread and I will answer them as soon as I see them. If you haven't issued a Positive Rating yet I would encourage you to do so now. Issuing a Positive Rating will prevent the question from timing out and closing and will lock it open so it can be accessed and the Q and A can continue at any time from this evening or even a year or more from now.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney