How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Bradley Your Own Question
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley,
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1074
Experience:  Owner at The Protection Group LLC
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Michael Bradley is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am at the tail end of my divorce and one of the items to

This answer was rated:

Hi Pearl, I am at the tail end of my divorce and one of the items to complete is a qdro for my 401k, is there a form and checklist you can direct me to to complete on my own?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: oh of course, Massachusetts
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes and no, my plan administrator said I do not need a lawyer, a lawyer for the day at the court house said I do and the judge just wants me to get it done. I did not use an attorney for the entire divorce, although I learned a lot it was very stressfull....I feel and hope I can do these last few steps without incurring a cost now.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it. I just don't know what I need to file/fill out.

sometimes the employer or the 401k company have a sample form that you can use

if they do not then I do not see how you can do it on your own

there are companies out there that you can pay and they do them for you

this is the company I use

they are great to work with and are not crazy expensive

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was told by my controller that I do not need an attorney and by an attorney which represents the firm (I work for) that said I could try it on my own, I just need to pay close attention to details. Can you please direct me to the forms so I can try?

each plan is different

I would contact the company that holds your 401k and see if they have a sample QDRO you can use

As I said I have done some my self since the form they give was everything I needed but others I had to use pension appraisers

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is no form i can use or you can direct me to online in which i can complete on my own?

no since every company uses their own samples (LA pension fund) (Western Metal) (TIAA)

as you can see each company prefers their own form

you just need to contact the company that holds your 401k and they may very well have a sample form they can send you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The company is Fidelity

below is the site you need

looks like everything you need is there

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.

you are welcome

please rate my advice.

while I do not do this for the ratings, my compensation is tied to the rating system

thank you

Michael Bradley and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you