How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28323
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need help with x property staying on my property after

Customer Question

I need help with x property staying on my property after numerous times of asking him to remove it. Its been almost two years
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Iowa
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not about the contents of the sheds although there was an incident where a police officer told him he had 30 days and he still hasn't done anything its basically a control issue with him and I want his junk gone there has to be something I can do to end this
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it i think
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon. In a situation like this, a property owner will often send a 30 day notice, via certified mail, advising the party to remove their personal items. In the body of the letter, they want to advise that if they do not retrieve them and remove them, that the items will be disposed of. This way, if the owner tries to come back and say they were thrown away and they were not aware and they were allowed to store them there, the property owner would have a legal defense if they were to get sued. If you just disposed of these items, the burden would shift to them, to sue you and try and collect for damages.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You mean to tell me that after 2yrs and a police officer telling him he had 30 days to remove his junk he can still hold me hostage thats a load of crap i cant win and i cant believe This
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

It is not about him necessarily holding you hostage. It is about you protecting you own interest and having a defense if you get rid of it today and he tries to come back and sue you for it. You can get rid of it if you want but if he sues, you would need to defend it and show how long he left it and abandoned it, so you disposed of it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Its a contol. Issue with him and iguess i dont have any rights.he can come and get 1 or 2 items at will whenever he wants thats pretty close to being held hostage cause apparently he can come and go on my property when he wants day or. Night
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

No, he can not just come on your property, if he does not reside there. If he does, without permission, he is trespassing. Call the police. If you do not want his stuff there, you can remove it. All I am sharing with you, is to protect your interest in case he comes back and tries to file a civil lawsuit, is to have proof you placed him on notice that he can not longer store these items there and needs to remove them.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well i appreciate. Your efforts but unfortunately i guess im just fkd. Thnx for nothing
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

I am happy to answer any other questions which you may have. You are not in a bad situation at all and I shared with you what someone can do, to protect themselves. It may take an extra 30 days but could result in you being able to dispose of his property.