I need help with x property staying on my property after…

Customer Question
I need help with...

I need help with x property staying on my property after numerous times of asking him to remove it. Its been almost two years

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not about the contents of the sheds although there was an incident where a police officer told him he had 30 days and he still hasn't done anything its basically a control issue with him and I want his junk gone there has to be something I can do to end this

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it i think

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/8/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 11 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. In a situation like this, a property owner will often send a 30 day notice, via certified mail, advising the party to remove their personal items. In the body of the letter, they want to advise that if they do not retrieve them and remove them, that the items will be disposed of. This way, if the owner tries to come back and say they were thrown away and they were not aware and they were allowed to store them there, the property owner would have a legal defense if they were to get sued. If you just disposed of these items, the burden would shift to them, to sue you and try and collect for damages.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

You mean to tell me that after 2yrs and a police officer telling him he had 30 days to remove his junk he can still hold me hostage thats a load of crap i cant win and i cant believe This

It is not about him necessarily holding you hostage. It is about you protecting you own interest and having a defense if you get rid of it today and he tries to come back and sue you for it. You can get rid of it if you want but if he sues, you would need to defend it and show how long he left it and abandoned it, so you disposed of it.

Its a contol. Issue with him and iguess i dont have any rights.he can come and get 1 or 2 items at will whenever he wants thats pretty close to being held hostage cause apparently he can come and go on my property when he wants day or. Night

No, he can not just come on your property, if he does not reside there. If he does, without permission, he is trespassing. Call the police. If you do not want his stuff there, you can remove it. All I am sharing with you, is to protect your interest in case he comes back and tries to file a civil lawsuit, is to have proof you placed him on notice that he can not longer store these items there and needs to remove them.

Well i appreciate. Your efforts but unfortunately i guess im just fkd. Thnx for nothing

I am happy to answer any other questions which you may have. You are not in a bad situation at all and I shared with you what someone can do, to protect themselves. It may take an extra 30 days but could result in you being able to dispose of his property.