How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5266
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wanted to know about conservativeship for my father

Customer Question

i wanted to know about conservativeship for my father becauce he has delirium
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Tennessee
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I had been doing 24 hr care for him in his home but my funds are low
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Thank you very much for your patience. TN Code § 34-1-132 (2014) allows for emergency conservatorship/guardianship over an elderly person which means that you can immediately start making decisions on behalf of your father with court approval. ctions for the appointment of a conservator may be brought in a court exercising probate jurisdiction or any other court of record of any county in which there is venue. Basically, you will need to file a petition in your local court for guardianship, have a hearing, and then explain why you need to be in charge of your father’s affairs. Your father will likely have to be present at the hearings as well because the judge needs to determine whether he is fit to have someone be in charge of his life in that way. Instead of me posting everything in this chat thread, if you click here, the state of TN has set up some sample forms that you can use to get started. Keep in mind that there are going to be fees involved with this as well so be prepared to pay a few hundred dollars to make this happen.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.