Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My daughter just turned 18 in 2014 and I had a little

My daughter just turned...

My daughter just turned 18 in 2014 and I had a little argument and she left with a slam door and a broken glass on the kitchen floor behinds.
Out of anger, I called police. They came and asked me where was my daughter. I called her on my phone and told her the police wanted to see you and she came back home. I saw her walked toward to the police from the window, they were outside waiting for her. I had not see my daughter face to face, thought that they would talking only, so I didn't pay attention. About 10 minutes, one officer came inside my house and asked me to fill out the paper. I wonder what happen to my daughter and he said the other cop took her. I asked why and he answerd that because I made a call they had to take her.
Was it a wrongful arrest?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Washing, 2014

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2017
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

What's happened in the past 3 years? What are your questions about this incident?

Was it a wrongfully arrest?
Just type
She lived with me back then, now she lives away.
Lucy, r y there

No, it wasn't. Police are allowed to arrest someone anytime they have probable cause to believe that a person has committed a crime. When they are called to a report of domestic violence, they're also allowed to take the person away for the safety of the person who called in the offense. Because it is so common for victims of domestic violence to change their mind and recant their testimony, police are allowed to use their own discretion once they arrive at the scene.

But we didn't have physical fight at all, and took my daughter away with out telling me
She left
How long this record stay in her file?

Was she ultimately charged with anything? If so, what happened?

She got out of jai in 3 days, Fri, Sat, Sun and had restrained order form judge.
I was in the court that day and asked not to charge her, but not sure what happened.

The restraining order would still show up if they did a criminal records check. Contrary to popular belief, offenses don't "drop off" a person's record. Insurance points drop off after a few years, but that's only for traffic tickets, and the ticket itself remains.

Even if she didn't hit you, if they believed you were in danger because of the way she left, they can take her away.

If the order was ultimately vacated or dismissed for lack of evidence, then she can file to have it expunged.

What do I do?
She is my daughter, I don't want this record ruined her life

She would need to either file herself or hire a local attorney to handle it. It's unfortunately not something you can do for her. But the first step is to get a copy of her criminal record to see what it shows.

https://dw.courts.wa.gov/index.cfm?fa=home.namesearch&terms=accept

If the order was dismissed or if her record shows an arrest that did not result in a conviction, she can submit a request for expungement. This site has detailed instructions.

https://www.courts.wa.gov/newsinfo/index.cfm?fa=newsinfo.displayContent&theFile=content/guideToCrimHistoryRecords

Where do I go to get the record?

Click the link, then input her name.

Can I get a record myse

You can view it yourself, because court documents are public record. She would have to file to expunge the record on her own.

Thank

You're welcome.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Went on the link, but don't know what to do. No place to input her name.

Did you click the first link? All it has is a place to input the name.

There's a note on the site that they're having some technical difficulties. If you're not seeing anything, try contacting their customer service. That is the right site.

Sweat does it mean when the name highlight ?
What does it mean when the name highlight and not ?

I'm sorry, I don't know. My expertise is in the law, not how to use that particular website. I'm sure their e-Service Center can assist you further.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Ok, thanks

You're welcome. Good luck.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney