How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34429
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hopefully you can. My son is a senior at a private boys

Customer Question

Hi, hopefully you can. My son is a senior at a private boys catholic school in nj. He has a disability and did have an IEP in public school. Unfortunately, his current school will not follow it. I am wondering if you can tell me if his school receives any state funding, so I know if we have a leg to stand on. The comments that some of his teachers have made are awful. As much as I have tried to address concern with the school, nothing is being done. Can anyone help direct me in any way?
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Christian Brothers Academy, Lincroft NJ
JA: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?
Customer: I have spoken to the guidance department, the Dean, and one of the Brothers who oversees the school. The Brother was very caring and conveyed that he felt the same as us but apparently his opinions aren't valued highly. The Dean was not understanding and the guidance counselor feels bad but this is how the school is run. I have not spoken to a local attorney because I was told that if CBA doesn't get state funding, I don't have a leg to stand on. I was told this my an educational advocate.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think this is a good start. Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.
Good morning and thank you for using JA.
In all liklihood, yes, they do receive some state and federal funding. Under regulations of the U.S. Department of Education, Catholic schools may receive services provided by federally funded education programs. Schools in the Archdiocese generally participate in one or more programs authorized by the current version of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA). These programs provide eligible students and faculty with the following:1. supplemental education for students in reading and mathematics;
2. professional development for teachers, counselors, administrators, and other professional and auxiliary staff;
3. services for English language learners.Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.