Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I have been slandered on social media. lie. Can I get a

Customer Question

Hi. I have been slandered on social media. Nasty lie. Can I get a lawyer to sue for libel that isn't expensive? Maybe in small claims court?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state you're in?
Customer: St. Louis MO
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nothing filed. No one has taken legal action. I have never sued anyone, or been sued, in fact. And I'm 57 years old. Totally clean.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The person who started the rumor has said "He didn't do anything. He just gives me the creeps."
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question is yes. Libel is basically written defamation and this to me sounds like a case of defamation. Defamation is basically a false and defamatory statement, published to a third party, that causes harm (usually a lessened reputation in the community, lost business opportunity, or other harms as the facts dictate.)

Run the alleged statements through that analysis to see if it fits.

If it does, then the other party may have some defenses. Here are the typical defenses in a defamation case:

(1) Legislative Privilege - Meaning the statement was made in a legislative proceeding

(2) Judicial Privilege - any participant in a judicial proceeding the absolute privilege to utter defamatory statements

(3) Executive Privilege - privilege affords an absolute privilege to high ranking executive officers of state and federal governments when acting within the scope of their discretionary duties

(4) Domestic Privilege - affords a spouse the absolute privilege to make defamatory statements about a third person to their spouse.

(5) Truth - if the statements you made were true, then this is a defense as well

(6) Opinion - courts have ruled that the opinion defense is one where if you provide your opinion, then a defamation charge will not stand.

You’d have to make that argument that by saying that you give the person the “creeps” is a defamatory statement. For instance, if your employees, employer, or co-workers saw it, if your pastor, friends, or wife could see it, then it would probably be defamatory.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.