How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney2 Your Own Question
Attorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7217
Experience:  29 Years In General Practice,
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Attorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in a small Condo in Sausalito and suffer from chronic

Customer Question

I live in a small Condo in Sausalito and suffer from chronic pain due to degenerative disc disease in my lower back. When there is a problem here, i.e., an inoperative elevator, the Association is in no hurry to get it fixed if it happens on a weekend due to the extra cost involved. Do I have any legal recourse against the Assn.?
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: In Sausalito
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can fill in the details when I speak to an attorney.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Yes, you have recourse. The Association is governed by all Fair Housing Laws and making a reasonable accommodation (this is a repair) for you is required. You can file a complaint with the State as well as bring an action against the board for failure to repair the elevator.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

"Reasonable accommodation is a Federal Fair Housing Act ("FHA") issue, not ADA.

Verifying the Disability. When a disabled owner makes a request for reasonable accommodation and the person's disability is obvious, the association cannot request additional information about the existence and validity of the disability. When the disability is not obvious, an association can request information verifying:

  1. The person is disabled,

  2. The need for the requested accommodation, and

  3. The relationship between the disability and the requested accommodation.

Reasonable Accommodation vs. Modification. A “modification” under the FHA is distinct from an accommodation. The Fair Housing Act does not provide a definition for “modification,” but regulations promulgated by HUD define a modification as any change to the public or common use areas of a building or any change to a dwelling unit. Claims for reconstruction or renovation to a dwelling are actionable under the reasonable modifications section of the FHA, and not the reasonable accommodation section.

Discrimination. Discrimination under the Act includes “a refusal to permit, at the expense of the handicapped person, reasonable modifications of existing premises occupied or to be occupied by such person if such modifications may be necessary to afford such person full enjoyment of the premises.” 42 U.S.C. §3604(f)(3)(A). The statute also makes unlawful any “refusal to make reasonable accommodations in rules, policies, practices, or services, when such accommodations may be necessary to afford such person equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling.” §3605(f)(3)(B).

RECOMMENDATION: Failure by a board to make reasonable accommodation when an appropriate request has been made can lead to costly litigation for the association. Boards should consult with legal counsel when a resident makes a request for reasonable accommodation."

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

This is a link for Attorneys in your area that provide FREE consultations

You can also file a fair housing complaint at

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Thank you for your consideration.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any additional questions for me?

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Are you online with me?