Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was literally just advised that there is a civil judgement

Customer Question
against me for an automobile...
I was literally just advised that there is a civil judgement against me for an automobile accident my boyfriend was in back in 2006. He was driving a car I owned. Apparently 4 years later we were sued but by that time we had moved out of state and apparently no real effort was made to locate us so There's a $55K judgement against me that I never had an opportunity to defend myself against and have no way to pay since I'm disabled with no assets. I'd like to know if there is anything I can do about this because it's also an issue for me since it's affecting my driving privileges.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: This happened in Florida. The car my boyfriend was driving was a 2000 Ford Explorer which we no longer have and the car involved in the accident was a Cadillac from the 1970's.
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: I have no idea...this apparently all happens 7 years ago without my knowledge. Nobody bothered to advise me that a suit was even filed against me. That is the whole point.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
9/7/2017
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 2 months ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. Can you tell me

1. What state issued the original judgment?

2. What state do you live in today?

The state that the judgement was issued in was Florida and I currently live in NC.

Thanks
Can you tell me, have you been served in NC to have the FL judgment enforced (so does NC have this now? Or not yet)?

No to my knowledge absolutely no attempt has been made to make NC aware of the judgement. Had I not called the Florida DMV today I still wouldn't know anything about this!!!

Thanks
What you are describing, IF the plaintiff (person who filed the suit) did not serve you "process" (notice of the suit), that can be a basis to void the judgment

You would need to hire a lawyer, and file a "motion to vacate" in the court that issued the judgment. But if you can prove they never served process, the court will toss the judgment out

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

P. Simmons, Attorney