I was served a civil summons from an something that happened…

Customer Question
I was served a...

I was served a civil summons from an something that happened 10 years ago in a state I no longer live in. Not sure what to do...

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in Florida. The summons is from North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I was served papers via Certified mail. I have not responded in any way yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It has to do with the signing of a deed of trust

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/7/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 8 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You would need to respond to the summons wither with an answer or a motion to dismiss.

Where the claim dates back 10 years, you can raise a statute of limitations defense to have it dismissed.

You may do so or have a lawyer retained to either file the motion or file an answer on that basis.

martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
I can file a motion to dismiss myself?
How do I know if the statute of limitations has expired and/or is relevant to this summons?

You or a lawyer can file. 10 years after the fact that defense is normally available to you!

Good luck!!

Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Tina, Lawyer