Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I recently purchased land that has two billboards on it.

I recently purchased land that has two billboards on it. From what I understand the previous contract with the previous land owner has expired and now they just pay by the year the sum of $800 total. It's not worth that to me. I was expecting a couple of thousand commission. What are my options right now if they don't agree to pay me that amount? The power going to it is in the sign companies name. Who owns the billboards, me or the sign company? Can I make them move it? What happens if we are at an impass but they continue to use it for advertising? Can I force them to stop?

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you for your patience. Does the current contract for $800 total per year have a cancellation clause at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know. There is no contract with me. The previous owner collected the money for last year but it comes up again in January.

I see what you mean. I would definitely get a copy of the contract to see what the terms are. It is possible that you may have to wait until the year is up before you decide to cancel the agreement or pay a fee to cancel the agreement; whatever the previous billboard owner and landowner agreed to will control. Otherwise, you could force them to stop, but then they may sue for a breach of contract, which could cost you even more in legal fees and court costs, so that may not be a good investment. So, the answer to your question is unless your contract says otherwise, no, you can't force them to move it. However, if the agreement ends at the end of the year, you aren't required to renew it. What other questions did you have for me?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Regardless of whether or not I sign a contract, they will probably continue to use it for advertising. That's where I don't know what my options are.

I understand. Well, if there is a contract, then your options are what I had stated. If there is no contract, then you can have them remove the billboards because then they would be trespassing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just received this from them:
We have been on a year to year verbal lease with the previous property owner for some time as we were unable to secure a written lease with them. We have been paying $800 per year each year in January for that year. We would like to go ahead and work on a new written lease with you if you are agreeable to do so. Thanks!

Ok, I see what you mean. If this is the case, this means that you can cancel the agreement at any time after December 31, 2017.

Let me clarify: you have the option to not renew the lease after December 31, 2017. Meaning that you should send them written notice that you are not going to renew.