Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

If an individual has a Maryland Medical Marijuana card

Customer Question

If an individual has a Maryland Medical Marijuana card already and is just waiting for the product to be available at a licensed dispensary, but has used marijuana recently in a state where it is already legal - what would be the effect on a new job application in Maryland when there is a requirement for a urine sample drug test since it doesn't clear your system for (I believe) at least 30 days?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: anything like what?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just what I told you already
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The short answer is that if an employers are allowed to prohibit the use of drugs, even if it is legal and even if you have a prescription for it. It does not matter if the drug is legalized or not. For instance, if the employer says that you cannot drink alcohol as a part of your job (e.g. if you are a truck driver) and they do a random breath test and find out you’ve been drinking, you could still be denied employment although alcohol is perfectly legal to consume. In your case, even if you have a MM card, it still won’t prohibit the employer to deny you employment based on a positive drug test. I’m very sorry and hopefully you won’t drop dirty in this situation.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.