I have a family member that refuses to pay rent; and,

Customer Question
I have a family...

I have a family member that refuses to pay rent; and, refuses to leave. What recourse or actions that I can do to get him to leave?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I am aware of, which is why I am deferring to you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is a family member that has not paid rent in 4 months. I asked him to leave tonight and he wouldn't. We rent my Father's house My Dad has been ill lately so he cannot assist. But, my Father did tell the squatter that he needed to leave last month.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
What actions can I take to remove this individual from the dwellings ASAP?
9/7/2017
Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Michael Bradley
If he refuses to leave and is refusing the pay as well, then legally he is a squatter if there is no lease. If there is a lease then he is simply delinquent in payment. Either way, formal steps to have him evicted would need to be done by the landowner. I would give him notice in writing to vacate the premises as he does not have a valid lease and is not paying. I would give him 14 days to vacate. Once that is done then I would file a formal eviction proceeding in small claims court against him. On a positive note he can be evicted through this process. Unfortunately, it is going to take some time in that it takes time to give them time to leave and also time to get a court date. If you have any specific questions I will contact the court and talk to one of the clerks who have valuable knowledge and could also get the forms to you.