In a civil action the plaintiff files a motion to strike and…

In a civil action the...
In a civil action the plaintiff files a motion to strike and dismiss counter claim. A hearing date is set and on that day we show up for court. We are told to have a seat and someone will call us when it is our time. After a bit the plaintiffs attorney motions that we are up. He leads us to an office which is about 10 ft by 10 ft. It has a desk and 3 chairs in this room and that is all there is room for. A man is sitting at the desk which I guess was a judge. He states why we are there and says ok lets hear it. Plaintiff you go first. He gives his speech then the Judges says ok and your response. I give my speech and he says ok I will make my ruling and file it. Thank You. you can go. These hearings in civil cases do not have to be recorded or held in the courtrooms? Is this normal in civil cases?
9/7/2017
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

Yes, that is very normal procedure in civil cases. The person who heard the argument was, in all likelihood, a Commissioner not the judge. The Commissioner will make a recommendation to the judge, who will sign a final order on the plaintiff's motion.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If so, a 5 star rating is hoped for. Please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required,rbut is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

these proceedings are not recorded therefore there will be no transcripts for these civil hearings on motions filed in these cases, is that correct?

Correct.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney