Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  17 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Does the state of florida recognize common law in any way?

Customer Question

JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, I have been evicted from our home in Pensacola, FL after being together for 12 years.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Yes, I have been evicted from our home in Pensacola, FL after being together for 12 years.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am an alcoholic and I was drinking and taking narcotic medicine at the same time. He called the police and I was Baker Acted. He gave the the notice while I was in a Behavioral Hospital.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Unfortunately no, FL doesn't recognize common law marriages so you wouldn't be able to make any legal claim against your partner. The only time FL recognizes it is if it was entered into in a state that does have common law marriage.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much