Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My wife is in a nursing home. Is there any way to shelter

Customer Question

My wife is in a nursing home. Is there any way to shelter money through divorce or legal allocation
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Yes you can file for divorce.Any property awarded to you then is your separate property is yours and medicaid cannot touch it.This is very common in such a situation to try and salvage something before medicaid takes it all.You will need a local family lawyer to file here, the sooner the better.

I know it is hard but its very possible and the best remedy to your situation to save some assets from the state getting them all.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Sorry you are having to deal with this.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Lawyer referral for family lawyer to file for divorce

Lawyer Referral Services