Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My daughter wants to withdraw from this semester at college

Customer Question

My daughter wants to withdraw from this semester at college do to extrememe duress in life circumstances, ie; in the midst of moving/relocating, family issues, stress. We will be settled and in better circumstances for her to register next semester. She can withdraw without getting a W if she does it before Sept 13th, but there is a tuition charge of 30%. How can we get the tuition fee waved? I heard that colleges will wave tuition charges to students who have legitimate reasons. Is hardship, stress, moving, family brake ups, etc., good reasons they may consider? Also, do letters from therapists, doctors, or pastors help?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your daughter's difficulties.

Your Question:

How can we get the tuition fee waved?

Response 1: Write a letter to the school detailing the issues that your daughter is having and ask that the tuition charge be waived. It would be helpful to include letters/affidavits from her health care providers such as doctors and therapists.

I heard that colleges will wave tuition charges to students who have legitimate reasons. Is hardship, stress, moving, family brake ups, etc., good reasons they may consider?

Response 2: Yes.

Also, do letters from therapists, doctors, or pastors help?

Response 3: Yes.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.