Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I am a medical marijuana patient. I am traveling to The

Customer Question

I am a medical marijuana patient. I am traveling to The Netherlands. May I take a small amount of meditcine with me
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm sorry, I live in California and am traveling tomorrow
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No nothing. I do have a physician's prescription
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, well I am 73 years old a three tour veteran of Vietnam and use MJ for symptoms of my PTSD
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

You may have a medical marijuana card but that doesn't mean much to the Federal government, and you are looking to leave the country. Under Federal law, marijuana is a Schedule I controlled substance. If the marijuana is discovered by TSA, they will confiscate it and turn the matter over to state authorities, who may or may not choose to prosecute you.

Marijuana is legal where you're going. You'll be able to get it over there. So you won't have to be without it all that long. Just don't plan on bringing any back, as on the way in, you'll be screened by Customs and Immigration officers, and can be charged with a Federal felony.