I am a medical marijuana patient. I am traveling to The

Customer Question
I am a medical...

I am a medical marijuana patient. I am traveling to The Netherlands. May I take a small amount of meditcine with me

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I'm sorry, I live in California and am traveling tomorrow

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No nothing. I do have a physician's prescription

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, well I am 73 years old a three tour veteran of Vietnam and use MJ for symptoms of my PTSD

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/7/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

You may have a medical marijuana card but that doesn't mean much to the Federal government, and you are looking to leave the country. Under Federal law, marijuana is a Schedule I controlled substance. If the marijuana is discovered by TSA, they will confiscate it and turn the matter over to state authorities, who may or may not choose to prosecute you.

Marijuana is legal where you're going. You'll be able to get it over there. So you won't have to be without it all that long. Just don't plan on bringing any back, as on the way in, you'll be screened by Customs and Immigration officers, and can be charged with a Federal felony.