I need to speak with a lawyer about pressing charges for…

Customer Question
I need to speak...

I need to speak with a lawyer about pressing charges for theft of my service dog

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And just to clarify, have charges been officially filed?

I am located in phoenix, az but my service dog is in Elizabethton, tn . and no i need guidance on what i can do to try and get him back

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He went missing a month ago. i just recently found out his location and ultimately just want him back

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/6/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

there are 2 options when a defendant wrongfully appropriates another person's property. A service dog or any animal is still considered "personal property" and so the plaintiff can sue for an injunction ordering the return of the animal, or in the alternative, the fair market value (since they are "personal property" the court limits damages to actual economic damages).

If there is an injunction ordered and the defendant fails to comply with it the court can hold that party in contempt for the knowing and willful violation of a court order.

Another alternative is to contact law enforcement and they can press criminal charges. The criminal codes for theft are located here:

http://www.azleg.gov/ars/13/01801.htm

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: