I feel that I am being gouged by an air conditioning company…

Customer Question
I feel that I...

I feel that I am being gouged by an air conditioning company in the Orlando area to repair a small part under warranty(less than three years old) by charging $635. to replace a warrantyd part.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No. carrier corp. is the manu.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The technician who discovered the bad part suggested that $200. would be the approximate cost of labor.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/6/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need. I am also happy to continue online.

Courts, as a general rule, will not get involved in what is a fair charge for something and presume the parties negotiate the deals they enter into. In other words, it is the obligation of the parties to do the necessary research to ensure they are getting the best price.

Now, if you were defrauded, that is a different matter. So, if there was a representation about the part that was false, that could be the basis for a claim, but there is no claim if the only issue is whether you paid too much.

You can file a consumer complaint with the Florida Attorney General and they will investigate and take administrative action, if warranted.

Also, you may want to contact the company who you believe overcharged you and let them know of your dissatisfaction.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on a court case which will not get you anywhere.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney