How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30349
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Its a long story, My apartment flooded by a broken pipe in

Customer Question

Its a long story, My apartment flooded by a broken pipe in my upstairs neighbors bathroom and I had no renter's insurance so I have had to clear out two accounts to stay in a hotel. I need financial assistance and I have called multiple organizations and have had not luck since I am not in Houston, even the red cross gave me different people to contact such at FEMA and local groups, but no one will help me or I do not qualify. What can I do for assistance? I will hopefully get another apartment since I can not live in the same apartment anymore due to COPD and asthma. I did not have any insurance to cover the damage to me personal belongs like a new mattress or couch or anything else. I had just bought my bed and couch and when I called the store, they will not exchange out my furniture to the tune of 1200.00 dollars which is now ruined and unusable. I am 56 years old and have never been through anything like this and I do not know what to do, please advise.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Arlington Texas Tarrant County. Also I have already contacted a City Code inspector for the apartment.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: I am not aware since I just contacted them yesterday. It was all done by phone and the gentlemen has not contacted me about it.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The landlord was supposed to contact me about readying another apartment but she has not called me back yet since yesterday.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Your landlord is required to pay for your hotel until your apartment is ready again. That's how a lease works - you pay rent, they give you a place to live. The landlord cannot collect rent from you and then make you foot your own hotel bill when the property is flooded due to something you did not cause. If the landlord will not let you back into a place rent-free (to offset your hotel bills), you can sue for the money you spent.

Also, if you have any reason to believe your neighbor was negligent and caused the pipe to break, it's possible to sue him for damages. His insurance may cover the costs if he has it. But a person has an obligation to use their property in a way so it doesn't damage the neighbors, and he has failed in that obligation if he in any way contributed to the broken pipe.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any other questions?