I'm a web developer. I built many websites for a business in…

Customer Question
I'm a web developer...

I'm a web developer. I built many websites for a business in Denver, CO. I was on a fixed salary as a contractor, but willingly switched to project-based payments to save time and money - freeing me up to work with new clients and diversify my income. About 1.5 months later, the Denver, CO business requested that I transfer everything over to their new contractor. I packaged up all of their websites, wiped the proprietary code, and sent to the new contractor. That person dropped the ball and the sites went down during the migration. Although I forewarned the company of this possibility and what the contractor would need to do to prevent any downtime, it still happened, and naturally and he blames me. When he said he was going to recommend that his new client file suit for 'neglect with a willful intent to harm', I responded with a reasonable reply and told him not to contact me at any time for any reason. When he taunted me via email shortly after, I told him that I had contacted the police and was going to file suit for harassment if he continued attempting to contact me. Now he is claiming to my previous client (of which my wife is an employee) that I "sabotaged" certain elements of the code, ancillary databases, and migration. He has sent these emails (claiming "sabotage") to my wife, and my previous client to encourage them to file suit because I caused their business financial harm. This is completely false in every single way. I own the proprietary code and maintain every right to change it because the client did not pay for service for 1.5 months. The removal of proprietary information did not harm this business, and neither did the migration. The claims he has made are unsubstantiated and untruthful - they have damaged my reputation and personal integrity with my wife, and the client - who at one point was my friend. The sabotage claims were made verbally prior to losing the client, the sabotage claims were made in writing (via email) to my wife post losing the client. Please help me, I need to be sure my reputation is defended and my integrity is protected. Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Denver, CO

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I reported email harassment to the police but that was all.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The client is an insurance attorney and my wife works for his company still.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/6/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your specific question for us regarding the situation?

Do i have a case?
Specifically for slander.

If they are making known false claims against you, then you would have cause to sue for slander/defamation/libel, since you are saying that their claims are causing harm to your business. If your removal of proprietary code did not cause the migration issue and any reasonable programmer would know that, then you can show they know their statements regarding your conduct are false. Also, you would need to show what business you lost. In addition to the slander case, you could also have a case of tortious interference with contracts if they are contacting other clients and making these claims against you.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Am I supposed to file suit in Colorado or in Maryland where I reside? Should I search defamation attorney specifically? How do I proceed?

Thank you for your reply.

You would need to file suit against the party committing the slander where they are located. You would need a general civil law attorney in that location and you can find one at the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com (copy and paste the links, do not click on them, we have a technical issue with clicking on links).