How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30375
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had an argument with a drug-dealing friend of my

Customer Question

I had an argument with a drug-dealing friend of my girlfriends and it started by me politely asking her to stop her from selling drugs to my girl who has an old beauty problem that eventually escalated to some vicious words and she took the contents of previous messages and brought them to the police station messages that were over a year old and pretended that I had made these calls through there is no call log I'm sure if we subpoenaed her records there is no call log and I did 33 days in jail pleaded to a much lesser charge because my my lawyer explain to the judge what was going on and things have gotten no better also the police broke my arm on Father's Day arresting me for this harassing phone call which was a misdemeanor and 63 + 100% disabled and I'd like to get this off my record and I'd like her to be accountable
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: I'm sorry I'm going to bot***** *****ne you with this message my girlfriend has an opiod problem she is also prescribed benzos for her a depression her girlfriend of 20 years his her part-time drug supplier I've had numerous fights with this drug dealer about providing any kind of drugs for my girl it escalated and she put in a phony report which in court which caused me to get my arm broken by the police on an arrest warrant 33 days in jail $5,000 in fees accrued embarrassment
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess not I can expound on this while speaking to the attorney
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm very sorry to hear that this happened.

The laws on cleaning up a record are different in every state. Where do you live?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you.

Rhode Island law currently allows a person to expunge a misdemeanor conviction once five years have passed after the release from probation. You can do this as long as you do not receive any other convictions, suspended sentences, fines, or probation on your record. Essentially, they let you remove one conviction as long as it's the only one.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Because you plead guilty, I'm afraid that you legally cannot go after the person who did this. A lawsuit for malicious prosecution requires that the underlying criminal case be resolved in your favor. A guilty plea is a confession that you did the thing you were accused of doing. Even if you had good reasons for taking the plea, you aren't allowed to go into a civil court later and claim innocence. I'm sorry.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I am paid for the time I spent answering your question. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I didn't want to reply I wanted to speak to an attorney
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I am an attorney.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?