Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My house is under agreement but the lawyer has found that

Customer Question

Hi My house is under agreement but the lawyer has found that the left and rear sides of the garage are not to code of lot lines. the ceo of the town said its because there was an existing building before the garage was built and its location was used as guideline to build within. The ceo is and( was at the time) fine with it but the lawyer is requiring something in writing from the ceo who apparently doesnt like putting things in writing Where does that leave me the owner?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: maine
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes the builder got a copy of the map showing the overlay of both new and old buildings (with notes from ceo on it) but lawyer for buyer was not satisfied
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: why would a ceo be reluctant to put in writing something he signed off on on 2006?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Your attorney is trying to protect you. If and when you go and try and sell the home in the future, this issue could come up again and you would likely be the one to have to cure it. If the CEo refuses to put anything in writing to protect you, it should be a red flag, since there is no reason you need to incur the problems down the road. The seller and whoever else needs to be involved, should sign off and not hold you liable and correct this, if it is needed.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!