I held a joint checking account with the deceased in new…

Customer Question
I held a joint...

I held a joint checking account with the deceased in new york. On day of death i closed the account. can the courts demand that funds be returned?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Brooklyn new york

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

There is a will and death cerfificate. will mentioned joint accounts, but was closed by me on date of death

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

To confirm, held joint account with deceaded in new york. i closed account on date of death, cAN THE PROBATE COURT DEMAND FUNDS BE RETURNED?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/6/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

No here if you had access thees are considered jointly owned funds, either party has right of access.Under NY banking laws you were able to access the funds and close out the account.You were within your contractual rights to do so.The funds would no longer be part of the estate and passed outside probate by contact to you as joint owner.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Sorry for your loss.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is always much appreciated.