How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27704
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a person was on probation in a state and got pulled over.

Customer Question

If a person was on probation in a state and got pulled over. Then they find out they have a hold on him for parole volation does he have to sign extradition papers
JA: Since parole regulations vary, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.


I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

A person under these circumstances has two choices. He can waive extradition and agree to be taken to the state that issued the warrant, or he can contest extradition, stay where he is and try to fight extradition.

However, there are only three grounds upon which you can successfully challenge extradition, and if those three don't apply, all he'd be doing by fighting the inevitable would be spending more time in jail where he is, for which he may not get credit when he's finally brought to the other state. The three grounds are:

1) he is the wrong person -- that is -- the warrant describes someone other than him;

2) he's the right person, but he wasn't in the state at the time of the alleged incident; or

3) the paperwork submitted by the wanting state's governor's office lacks the appropriate signatures. (The judge will look to determine that the paperwork is in order).

If the above don't apply, contesting extradition will be time-consuming and futile and it would be best for him to waive extradition and fight the case in the state that issued the warrant.

Typically, the holding state will assign a fugitive defendant a public defender to safeguard his rights, and he ought to confer with him or her as to what his chances are if he wants to stay where he and challenge extradition.

Bot***** *****ne -- while he can challenge extradition, it's typically pointless and he'll spend an extra month or two in jail right where he is awaiting a hearing that he will not win. Then he'll wind up being extradited after all.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.