Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  17 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I own a property with my sister in joint tenancy since my

Customer Question

I own a property with my sister in joint tenancy since my Mom died. We have rented rooms in it for years in the same manner as when mt Mom was alive. I don't get paid to be property manager or to keep records so I haven't. I just got a demand letter to provide records of rents and expenses going back 2 1/5 years. We have shared a bank account so deposits and withdrawals have always been accessible. Do I have a duty to provide that? I have done countless repairs and only kept gas money (I live 120 miles away). I didn't keep gas reciepts
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Are you saying sister has sent you this demand letter?

.

How do you document expenses when you have to spend money on the place? using checks from the account?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
her lawyer. I don't usually doccument. I would have if I had been asked. Sometimes I have had to pay for day labor from like home depot. I was unaware she wanted me to keep a detailed accounting or I would have asked to be compensated. It's bad enough I get stuck doing all the work
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Ok, since you are not her employee, you have zero legal duty to provide that information without a court order demanding it. So her attorney's letter doesn't force you to do anything and if she has all the access to the bank account and can see what checks were written on it, then she can get her own records..

.

Even if she sued you, you would only have to provide what you have, not create documents..

.

.

thanks