Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My mother just passed away on July 28th and she started a…

Customer Question
My mother just passed...

My mother just passed away on July 28th and she started a Will but did not get to sign it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado there was another will done 5 years ago but I believe she did not want that one and destroyed it

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

The copy of the Will she started

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Are you going to call me?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
9/6/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need. I am also happy to continue online.

My condolences for your loss.

Unfortunately, if there are two wills, one revoked and the other never completed or signed, then your mother has died intestate. Here estate will pass in accordance with the rules of intestate distribution under the CO Probate Code.

If you can find an original signed copy of the original will you can submit that for probate, if it has no indication of revocation on its face.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on trying to get the second will admitted for probate.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

I would like to talk on phone

You would need to make a premium services request. There is an additional charge for a phone call.

Are you still online with me?

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question.

Loren, Attorney