I had a breach of contract from my apartment complex giving…

Customer Question
I had a breach...

I had a breach of contract from my apartment complex giving out my info to inmates at a jail I work at and I fear for my safety because the inmates know where I live, what can I do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

This is not employment, it is where I live, they gave out my info to the inmates. New Mexico

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I told the apartment complex what happened, I do not feel safe in my own home. I have to look over my shoulder now.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/6/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Can you give me some more info about what happened here?.

.

What damages have you suffered?

.

.

thanks

I work at a Jail, my privacy and inmates would come to your home to kick my but, damage my car... i have on tape from the Jail the phone call between the inmate and his exwife telling him who i am and where i live. So my safety at my home, contract between me and raintree apartments.
If we break our lease, they sue us for breach of contract, it works both ways.

Ok, so how and why did the landlord disclose to any inmates at the jail where you lived?

.

Have any inmates actually caused any damage to your vehicle or assaulted you?

.

What is it that you would like to have happen here?

The inmate came up to me at work and said i know where you live, because my ex wife is your landlord. I want to know if I have a case against them for breach of contract by giving out my info to inmates who will give that to other inmates that do not like me and could do something to me or my car.
I fear for my safety and will have to move so no one knows where I live.

Ok, I hate to say it, but there is nothing confidential about where you live.. The landlord doesn't have any duty of confidentiality with that information like an attorney or doctor would have with you. Unless your lease specifically states that the landlord will keep that info confidential, then he has no legal duty to.. The landlord only has to provide a habitable dwelling that meets all local code requirements, but that is about it..

.

I don't like the outcome, but realistically, anywhere you live, there could be a girlfriend or boyfriend working there who would tell an inmate where you live...

.

So there is nothing that would be actionable here in this information being disclosed by the landlord's employee..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

Thank you for your time, sorry to be a bother.

No bother at all, I am sorry that the law isn't more on your side here because I can definitely understand your feelings about having your information about your address out there..

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much