Is there anyway i can get out my jury duty? I dont think i…

Customer Question
Hi. Is there anyway...

Hi. Is there anyway i can get out my jury duty? I dont think i can i show up. Because i have work and i cant miss a day of work

Lawyer's Assistant: What city and state is this in?

California los angeles

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Fulltime

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats all

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/6/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need. I am also happy to continue online.

Continue online

It is possible to request an excuse for m jury duty.

All requests for excuses must be in writing on the jury summons. Requests to be excused from service can be made by marking the appropriate box in Section B on your summons, and then checking the appropriate box (C-F) that applies to your excuse, and explaining your request in Section D.

Section A, Steps 1 and 2 must be completed in its entirety, answering all questions in Section A, even when requesting an excuse. Once Section A is completed, and you complete your request for excuse on the summons, you must call the 1-***-***-**** number, register for jury service, and request an excuse when prompted to do so. You will be prompted by the automated system to register your appropriate excuse request. The automated system will guide you through the registration process and provide you with the ability to request an excuse.

You may also request an excuse online by selecting My Jury Duty Portal on the jury website.

Ok?

The court rules provide for the following reasons to be excused:

An excuse on the ground of undue hardship may be granted for any of the following reasons:

(1)The prospective juror has no reasonably available means of public or private transportation to the court.

(2)The prospective juror must travel an excessive distance. Unless otherwise established by statute or local rule, an excessive distance is reasonable travel time that exceeds one-and-one-half hours from the prospective juror's home to the court.

(3)The prospective juror will bear an extreme financial burden. In determining whether to excuse the prospective juror for this reason, consideration must be given to:

(A)The sources of the prospective juror's household income;

(B)The availability and extent of income reimbursement;

(C)The expected length of service; and

(D)Whether service can reasonably be expected to compromise the prospective juror's ability to support himself or herself or his or her dependents, or so disrupt the economic stability of any individual as to be against the interests of justice.

(4)The prospective juror will bear an undue risk of material injury to or destruction of the prospective juror's property or property entrusted to the prospective juror, and it is not feasible to make alternative arrangements to alleviate the risk. In determining whether to excuse the prospective juror for this reason, consideration must be given to:

(A)The nature of the property;

(B)The source and duration of the risk;

(C)The probability that the risk will be realized;

(D)The reason alternative arrangements to protect the property cannot be made; and

(E)Whether material injury to or destruction of the property will so disrupt the economic stability of any individual as to be against the interests of justice.

(5)The prospective juror has a physical or mental disability or impairment, not affecting that person's competence to act as a juror, that would expose the potential juror to undue risk of mental or physical harm. In any individual case, unless the person is aged 70 years or older, the prospective juror may be required to furnish verification or a method of verification of the disability or impairment, its probable duration, and the particular reasons for the person's inability to serve as a juror.

(6)The prospective juror's services are immediately needed for the protection of the public health and safety, and it is not feasible to make alternative arrangements to relieve the person of those responsibilities during the period of service as a juror without substantially reducing essential public services.

(7)The prospective juror has a personal obligation to provide actual and necessary care to another, including sick, aged, or infirm dependents, or a child who requires the prospective juror's personal care and attention, and no comparable substitute care is either available or practical without imposing an undue economic hardship on the prospective juror or person cared for. If the request to be excused is based on care provided to a sick, disabled, or infirm person, the prospective juror may be required to furnish verification or a method of verification that the person being cared for is in need of regular and personal care.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!