Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My 22 year old daughter went to a get together of a few

Customer Question
My 22 year old...

My 22 year old daughter went to a get together of a few friends and was offered marijuana. she told the guy who offered it to her that she did not do drugs and wouldn't even know how to use the marijuana. he gave her a small amount with a pipe and said well you might want to try it because it is blue dream. her father has parkinsons, and she knew blue dream helped him but we had been unable to find any, so when the guy said blue dream she took it because she was going to just give it to her dad. she put the bag in her glove box and forgot about it until a few days later she drove onto a marine base and was pulled over and sited for possesion of pot and pipe. she now has to appear in federal court in downtown San Diego. What is the worse case scenario for the outcome

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She has never done drugs ever in her life. she grew up as our foster child because her parents were drug addicts and she was born addicted to crack. she has never ever done drugs nor condoned them except in her dads situation with parkinsons she knows the marijuana helps with his tremors. she does not know the name of the person who gave her the bag and told the marines that when they interrogated her. she said she made up a name of a friend because she didn't want anyone to get in trouble for her stupidity

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
9/6/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Your daughter should not consider going into Federal court for this charge without a Federal lawyer who has some experience with crimes committed on military bases. Marijuana is strictly prohibited on military bases, and unfortunately, under Federal law, marijuana is a Schedule I controlled substance, meaning she might as well have had heroin in her possession.

On a military base, this charge will typically be handled as a felony, regardless of the fact that it's been decriminalized on a state level, which makes the possibility of incarceration possible. The Federal guidelines indicate that anywhere from 0 to 6 months of jail would be an appropriate sentence. Probation would be the best case scenario on a plea agreement to this charge.

Here's the applicable Federal statute.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney