I have a problem with my ex-girlfriend is suing me for my…

Customer Question
I have a problem...

I have a problem with my ex-girlfriend is suing me for my phone that she took over over six months ago the phones under her name and she's taking me to court tomorrow saying that I O her $1900 for Existing phone bill other small items like pair of shoe she gave me do my birth day and the reason why she took away the phone it's because I took away my car that she was driving etc. the phone she took from I had for many year I screwed up by putting it under her name I use the telephone for work and I had my contacts in there I lost several customers money that I would bring each month.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My ex-girlfriend was my fiancé we broke up over six months ago we have two kids she just had one it long story .Right now I'm fight for half child custody for one of my kids the new born she does let me see

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/6/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. What exactly are you asking here? For example:

1) How do I file an answer?

2) What are possible defenses?

Etc.

What are possible defenses

Thank you for your call request. The site allows the expert to opt out of the call request, and I must respectfully ***** ***** not worry - other experts receive the request as well, and the first available expert calls. They will also have your question and my replies to build upon, so nothing will be lost.

Well the best defense - if true - is that it was a gift. A gift bestows a final ownership unto the giftee (recipient of the gift). It would be up to her to prove otherwise by a preponderance of the evidence, which is 51% or over. If/when in a relationship, the strong presumption is that anything given is indeed a permanent gift.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

2 what can saso what I'm trying to say is that what can I say on my defense I don't have the phone she took it and she's trying to charge me for it when I don't even have the phone so what can I say to the courts in my defense

The best thing to do is to argue that it was a GIFT, perhaps? If it was a gift, then someone in your situation can do with it whatever they want to and no longer have to have it. You would not then be held responsible for it if the Judge believes it was a gift.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Is that the best option or is it better just to deny everything

Well this is up to you. However if there is proof that you WERE given the phone, then perhaps denying it is not a good idea.

Lawyer: Joycelaw, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
Ely, Counselor at Law