I recently purchased a car in pennsylvania from a used car…

Customer Question
Hello, I recently purchased...

Hello, I recently purchased a car in pennsylvania from a used car dealership. The loan purchased soley in my name but the title and registration is in my name and my friends name. I spoke to many other dealerships and friends and they said that this cannot be done. I'm looking for confirmation and also to see if a lawyer can assist if the dealership has performed an illegal action. Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Car is 2007, state purchased is pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I contacted the loan agency and they said it is not their problem and the dealership keeps avoiding the conversation, they even advised I sign for the co-owner to take over registration

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I need to know if this is an actual legal issue before I pay

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/6/2017
Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Michael Bradley

why was the title not matching the financing paperwork?

That is my question exactly. The loan agency said that it is not there problem because the title paperwork was done with the dealer. The Dealer paperwork shows my friend as the co-purchaser. The dealership said they can do nothing for me and even recommended I forge the co-owners name. I have reason to believe that this is not the way it is supposed to go. The loan paperwork has only my name so I am not sure how legally he got on the title. They want me to have the co-owner sign off but he is "in jail" and will not willfully sign.

where did his name even come into play?

where county did you purchase this?

what jail is he in?

He was a friend that I was dumb enough to trust and assist. It was purchased in berks county (Reading). He is currently in Berks county awaiting charges

how long is the financing?

36 months

I could not find anything illegal with the title in 2 names and the financing in only 1 name

it will not become an issue until the financing is complete and a clean title is issued

did he sign the paperwork to be on the title?

The paperwork he signed says "co-purchaser". In the world of finance, purchase typically refers to a financial purchase, i guess the dealership said that was the only way he could get insurance.

you have the car though correct?

I just received the vehicle back because I had to call the police to get it back because he did not pay a penny towards it and was involved in legal activities.
If the dealership did nothing wrong, can I sue him for not paying for the vehicle, not paying insurance, damages due to police drug search, lost keys, etc. etc.
you can sue him in small claims court.

Can I still help?

What is the best way to start small claims court proceedings, im only familiar with criminal law

who is your local district judge?

what county?

Im located in berks county, pa. Township is muhlenberg. I would have to look up the judge information

I will get it for you

Serving the Borough of Laureldale, Township of Muhlenberg

Magisterial District Judge: Dean R. Patton

MDC 23-1-06

Magisterial District Court #: MDC 23-1-06

Address:

*****br />Temple, PA 19560

Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

Fax:(###) ###-####/p>

attached is the small claims form that you need to fill out and file with the Court

you need to fill out the parties, how much you are suing for

the basis of the suit and sign and date

take it to the courthouse and file it

you will get a court date in around 30 days

please rate my advice

while I do not do this for the ratings, my compensation is tied to the ratings system

thank you

Can I assist you further?

If not, please rate the advice

Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer