Lawyer: Our kids were taken away. We'd had an argument, my…

Lawyer: Our kids were taken...
Lawyer: Our kids were taken away. We'd had an argument, my husband and I, and I'd called the cops. When they showed up they could see we were both intoxicated, so they gave us breathalizers, and even though we were well past the legal limit, I pointed out that I wasn't driving anywhere.The sheriff said in his good conscience, he couldn't leave the kids with us, and that he'd be taking them to a shelter. I said the kids were never harmed, and I wasn't harmed.The reason I called was because my husband is in criminal court for assaulting me, and I thought that argument might have escalated into violence toward me, not my children. No one was harmed.So anyway, what right did they have to take the kids? And what is the best way to get them back if I can't afford an attorney? The kids may be having court today, but we don't know. No one has called us and they won't let us speak with our children or give us any information.
9/5/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The fact you were both intoxicated and involved in a domestic dispute in the presence of the children gives the sheriff and child protection authorities the right to step in for the best interests of the children to remove the children based on your intoxication and domestic dispute. You have a right to be represented by an attorney and if you cannot afford an attorney, you need to go to legal aid and also to the public defender's office at the court. You would need to present evidence to the court that you do not have a substance abuse problem and the court will likely order you and the father to enter into both a substance abuse counseling program as well as a domestic violence program to get the children back.

So you need to get to a local attorney through legal aid or the public defender's office and they will find out today if there will be a hearing today and will get you representation and will also get in touch with the child protection social workers to set up any programs you will need to attend.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

What would a domestic violence program be like? Like anger management for couples, or?

Yes, a domestic violence program could be anger management or even a relationship class or substance abuse class (if alcohol or drugs were involved in the incident.