Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What information is on a credit report? If somebody always

pay their phone bill and...
What information is on a credit report? If somebody always pay their phone bill and health insurance bill on time each month, is that likely to be listed on their credit report? Or are only bills they didn't pay on time or are later sent to collection agencies on a credit report?
9/3/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The information that shows up on a credit report can vary widely. However, What usually shows up he is going to be your track record of pain your debts. For example, if you always pay your phone bill and health insurance bill on time, that's probably not going to show up on your credit report. The reason is because your phone bill in health insurance bills are not extended to on credit. You usually pay these things each month Over time. However, things such as your car, which often has credit extended to you, a home mortgage, or even credit cards are going to show up on your credit report. The same thing also goes for student loans. Basically, you could look at it as anything that you did not have to pay for up front to get the service, will go on your credit report. anything that you pay for before you actually get that service is not going to go on your credit report.

Now, keep in mind one of the things that will go on your credit report is if you refuse to pay your phone bill and health insurance bill. for instance, if you decide not to pay your phone bill, the phone company could send you a bill to a collections company. Collections accounts are something that shows up on your credit report. Therefore, so long as you're paying your bills on time and you have to pay a front, then it's not going to be on your credit report.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Thanks. If I buy a car from a dealer and pay the full amount up front, would that show up on my credit report? If I have a medical bill that I pay off every month with no interest for a year, because I cannot afford to pay the full amount up front, would that show up on my credit report?
If the medical bill was 2000 dollars and broken up into 12 payments

I'm very sorry for the delay. I had to step away from my computer momentarily and unexpectedly. However, I am paying attention to your question immediately.

Good question. If you buy a car from the dealer and you pay cash, then it's not going to show up on your credit report. It would only show up on your credit report if you received a loan to buy the car. This is the case even if you received a loan one day and paid it off the next day. So long as you received the loan, it's going to show up on your credit report. The hospital bill is probably not going to show up on your credit report unless you don't pay. It is possible that if they extended you credit to give you a chance to pay, and this wasn't some informal payment plan privately through the hospital itself, then it should be reported to the credit bureaus. My recommendation would be to go to creditkarma.com or freecreditreport.com and see if you can get a copy of your credit report for free. This way, you'll be able to see whatever shows up on your credit report and determine if it is accurate.

Thanks.

It's my pleasure!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer