How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1609
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Legal Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My exhusband and I were married June 27 1957 and divorced

This answer was rated:

My exhusband and I were married June 27 1957 and divorced March 3 1972 we divorced in 72 spent 1958 to 1965 is their any benefits to the wife?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: We were overseas my son was born in Verdun
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: We were overseas my son was born in Verdi
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We were overseas my son was born in Verdun,, France in1964
Good morning. I will answer your question
When you were divorced the court could either have written in the order that you receive some kind of property division at divorce that gives compensation to you as the non- military spouse at he divorce, or forgoing a portion of his retired pay to a future date based upon his pension rights and retirement.However, that would have to have been put in the order at the time of divorce.You may also be entitled to 1/2 of his social security.If you are age 62, unmarried, and divorced from someone entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits, you may be eligible to receive benefits based on his or her record.There are other rules, of course. You must have been married to your ex-spouse for 10 years or more. If you’ve remarried, you can’t collect benefits on your former spouse’s record unless your later marriage ended by annulment, divorce, or death. Also, if you’re entitled to benefits on your own record, your benefit amount must be less than you would receive based on your ex-spouse’s work. In other words, we’ll pay the higher of the two benefits for which you’re eligible, but not both.You can apply for benefits on your former spouse’s record even if he or she hasn’t retired, as long as you have been divorced at least two years before applying. After you reach full retirement age, you can elect to receive only the divorced spouse benefits and delay benefits on your own record, which may mean a higher monthly amount for you. If you decide to wait until full retirement age to apply as a divorced spouse, your benefit will be equal to half of your ex-spouse’s full retirement or disability benefit amount.The same rules apply for a deceased former spouse. The amount of benefits you get has no effect on the benefits your ex-spouse or his or her current spouse receives. If your ex-spouse died after you divorced, you can still qualify for widow’s benefits.I hope this clarifies. Please don't forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit for assisting you with your question.
KJL LAW and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you