KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

My exhusband and I were married June 27 1957 and divorced

My exhusband and I were married June 27 1957 and divorced March 3 1972 we divorced in 72 spent 1958 to 1965 is their any benefits to the wife?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: We were overseas my son was born in Verdun
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: We were overseas my son was born in Verdi
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We were overseas my son was born in Verdun,, France in1964
Good morning. I will answer your question
When you were divorced the court could either have written in the order that you receive some kind of property division at divorce that gives compensation to you as the non- military spouse at he divorce, or forgoing a portion of his retired pay to a future date based upon his pension rights and retirement.However, that would have to have been put in the order at the time of divorce.You may also be entitled to 1/2 of his social security.If you are age 62, unmarried, and divorced from someone entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits, you may be eligible to receive benefits based on his or her record.There are other rules, of course. You must have been married to your ex-spouse for 10 years or more. If you’ve remarried, you can’t collect benefits on your former spouse’s record unless your later marriage ended by annulment, divorce, or death. Also, if you’re entitled to benefits on your own record, your benefit amount must be less than you would receive based on your ex-spouse’s work. In other words, we’ll pay the higher of the two benefits for which you’re eligible, but not both.You can apply for benefits on your former spouse’s record even if he or she hasn’t retired, as long as you have been divorced at least two years before applying. After you reach full retirement age, you can elect to receive only the divorced spouse benefits and delay benefits on your own record, which may mean a higher monthly amount for you. If you decide to wait until full retirement age to apply as a divorced spouse, your benefit will be equal to half of your ex-spouse’s full retirement or disability benefit amount.The same rules apply for a deceased former spouse. The amount of benefits you get has no effect on the benefits your ex-spouse or his or her current spouse receives. If your ex-spouse died after you divorced, you can still qualify for widow’s benefits.I hope this clarifies. Please don't forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit for assisting you with your question.