Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

I paid a gas bill for a friend in the amount of $62. I know

I paid a gas bill for a friend in the amount of $62. I know it's a low amount. She agreed to repay the next day. Its been over three weeks. Do I have any legal recourse? Also this same so called friend used one of my credit cards three years ago without my knowledge and permission. The amount was $122. After learning of this fraud, she agreed to pay which she didn't. Isn't that larceny and even though its been three years I believe PA statute allows up to seven years to file a complaint. Help. I have finally dropped this person.Is there anything I can legally do to get my money from this person? Thank you.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. Yes, you can file a claim against her in small claims court. This court is designed to be used without a lawyer and you can recover not only what is owed you, but interest plus court costs. This link will guide you through that process: https://www.philalegal.org/smallclaims . Filing the suit will give you the collection options and leverage you need to collect the debt owed you. That's because once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if she doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on her for a debtor examination. That forces her to meet you in court again and answer questions under oath about her assets. After that information is obtained, you have the power to attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any non-homestead property she owns to satisfy the judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. My only question is this the answer for both questions? Also when you say small claims court are you referring to my magistrate? The answer is probably in the link! Feel stupid. Anyway thanks again for your quick response

Yes, in PA, small claims courts are called Magisterial District Courts.

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I noticed the link is Philly. Im in Pittsburgh. Does it matter?

No...it's the same process state wide. :)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much.

You're very welcome! It's been my pleasure! Have a great Sunday!