RE: Breaking a lease. We are in a year lease and have been…

RE: Breaking a lease. We...
RE: Breaking a lease. We are in a year lease and have been there for 3 months. We would like to move out.(No fault of the owner) There is no early termination clause in the lease. What penalties and/or rent recovery is possible if we give a few months notice to vacate?
9/1/2017
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Under the circumstances you described the landlord would be entitled to collect up to the amount of the lease that you have not paid. For example, if you terminate with 6 months left, the landlord would be entitled to 6 months rent.

However, the landlord does have an obligation to re-let the property and reduce his damages. Therefore, your best option is to discuss with your landlord you need to terminate the lease early. You will want to provide the landlord with a concrete a move-out date and permit him to show the property to prospective new tenants.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Roy Hadavi

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-royhadavi/ Or, simply request “Roy only” in the first line of your question.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi