If a debtor in possession (chapter 11) has a court order to…

if a debtor in possession...
if a debtor in possession (chapter 11) has a court order to pay another parties legal fees related to post petition litigation, but then has his bankruptcy converted to a chapter 7.....do the legal fees that the debtor owes to the other party (per a court order) fall under bankruptcy protection or can that party go after wage garnishment?
8/26/2017
Michael Bradley

in my opinion no it does not fall under protection right away

however, they can try to motion the court to have that debt converted to unsecured under the chapter 7

but it would not be autonmatic

I do not believe that a wage garnishment can be done since he has bankruptcy protection and the court would need to be motioned to allow for collection of that debt. When it was in 11 it could be a provision of the discharge to pay

even if the debt (court ordered legal fees) were post petition?? What is stopping a debtor from abusing litigation outside of bankruptcy if that is the case?

he still has bankruptcy protection and you can not go after that money without bankruptcy court approval as there is a stay oin place

reorganization converted to a straight liquidation

can a debtor get in trouble with the bankruptcy court if he is racking up post petition debt in the form of having to pay other parties legal fees for bad litigation conduct?

yes if it is brought to the attention of the bankruptcy judge

Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer