Husband failed to change beneficiary of life insurance

Second opinion] Husband failed to...
Second opinion] Husband failed to change beneficiary of life insurance policy, bought during 14 year marriage to first wife, when he remarried. He continued to pay premiums during 53 year marriage to second wife. First wife died two years ago. Husband died May, 2017. Proceedsof policy have been paid to first wife's estate. Can this be contested? This is a California case.
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/24/2017
Michael Bradley
Unfortunately, when it comes to life insurance, All That Matters to them is who is listed as the beneficiary of the policy. The law also states that it does not matter to them who was listed as the beneficiary, whoever is listed as the beneficiary receives the proceeds from Life Insurance. There is no provision whereby the death or divorce changes the beneficiary. For that reason it went to the estate of the first wife. He should have changed the beneficiary at any point and they would have on who the change. I do not know of any way legally that you can dispute something such as the name beneficiary. I wish I had better advice for you but that is the law surrounding life insurance policies
Michael Bradley
Are you referencing recent California law?