If an employer in the State of California has their employee…

If an employer in the...
If an employer in the State of California has their employee handbook published in English, are they required to provide a Spanish version?
8/24/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed CA attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. At the risk of oversimplifying answer, the answer to your question is no. To clarify, There are certain things that employers required to post in multiple languages like workers compensation rules Or other Federal safety rules. When it comes to employee handbooks, California does not require that employee handbooks have to be published in any particular language. However, as a practical matter, an attorney would likely advise their employer client to post the handbook in a language that their employees understand. This way, they can avoid having terms of their agreement Invalidated because an employer could not reasonably understand to what they were agreeing by working there.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer