My previous dog walking service was negligent and it

My previous dog walking...

My previous dog walking service was negligent and it resulted in the death of my dog. In addition, at the same time, a few of the walkers from this service were coming to walk the dogs, but only walking for a fraction of the time I paid for. I have 1.5 years of proof from a surveillance camera, all onto a flash drive now. I'm looking for reimbursement of the short visits as well as the value of the dog. I'm not sure if I should send the flash drive and ask the owner directly, as she is not a nice person, or send the flash drive and file a complaint through the Better Business Bureau. I know getting a lawyer is more expensive then the money I could ever recover.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Illinois. I've looked into some of our laws.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not up to now.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. Thank you.

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/23/2017
FamilyAttorney

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 37 years’ extensive experience in family law, trials, appeals, contracts, landlord-tenant, and other types of law.

This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also, I’d like to review your question for a minute and type your answer. If I am not here for a few minutes, that means I am typing your answer. THIS IS NOT YOUR ANSWER YET so please allow me time to type it up for you. It may take a few minutes, so please understand that. Thanks!

If a request for a phone call comes in, it is from the site, not from me. I will be happy to have a phone call with you but only if you want it. If you would like to request a phone call, that’s fine too. There is no pressure and we can stay here if you’d like.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I am a dog lover and I would be broken-hearted too. I'm so sorry.

I would not send anyone the flash drive. I know you can make a copy of it again and again but you can file a report to the BBB without it.

Don't send it to the person because she can edit it. I wouldn't do that.

If you wanted to file a suit, you can try to see if you can get legal aid to help you out. You can file a civil suit against the company for reimbursement and also file a complaint with BBB without the flash drive. They won't look at it I'm sure, and they don't need it. You can always ask if they want it, and keep a backup in case you go to court.

Does this answer your question or would you like additional information?

Going to the BBB is the best option then, especially to get this over? It is emotional, as you seem to know, and I just want it over. I will not send the drive, thank you for that. I'm just looking for equal reimbursement, nothing additional. Just the current value of the dog and reimbursement of the shortened visits.

If you want, you can tell the owner you have the flash drive without sending it to her and tell her that if she doesn't compensate you, then you will go to the BBB.

I have two Golden retrievers, had a keeshound mix before them and it took me years to get over his death because the vet didn't let me say goodbye. Believe me I know. The goldens are my family.

You can also sue for intentional infliction of emotional distress, so that can be added to your damages. You're looking for compensatory damages to compensate you, but you can also have additional damages and sue for those, and ask for those, which are for the emotional distress you incurred. People are doing this more and more. This is my second dog-related death question today. Very sad, and I feel for all of you. This is just awful and the laws aren't strong enough to punish the perpetrators.

I'm sorry for your loss, I understand not being able to say goodbye. I think I know how II'm going to handle it now. I just wasn't sure how to start and how much to disclose. As well as if I should go to her directly. She is a very mean and unemotional person. I think you for your time and advise!

Thank you. That took me years.

It's awful. I just hope you are able to go after her, and to heal.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with. That includes looking for lawyers. I’m happy to do so! I’m here most of the time (usually at night!) so you can always come back and talk to me (no extra charge) after I’m rated. If I’m not here, I will get an email if you leave me a question.

Please accept my answer, and please rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars, 5 stars would be much appreciated as I ALWAYS strive to give you 5 star service!). This can be found AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find lawyers. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. I have given you the benefit of my legal knowledge and 37 years of experience as well as my time.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated, free of charge.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I'd rather be given the chance to add more information than be rated negatively, so I thank you for that.

If you want to ask for me specifically another time -- for a new question -- ask for "NYFamilyAttorney ONLY" and I will get the question. Otherwise you can come right back into this room for follow-ups, free of charge.

Best of luck to you and thank you for letting me help you today! Thanks in advance for rating me!

I strive for 5 star service every time, so if there's anything else I can do to earn that, I'm happy to do so.

The laws aren't enough, I agree. I just want reimbursement for services "ripped off"
Can I get this conversation emailed to me?

I can copy this here and you can print it.

Ok, thank you.

Thanks in advance for rating me. I will copy here and paste. Whatever is said after this will not be part of this.

I understand.

Transcript attached. Best of luck to you. I'm so sorry, really. Breaks my heart. I hope we can get tougher laws.

Thank you. For you as well.

Thanks. Be well!

FamilyAttorney
you too.

Thank you so much! Much appreciated. Good luck to you and be well.