Is there a statute of limitations in North Carolina for a…

Is there a statute...

Is there a statute of limitations in North Carolina for a second DUI that happened 1/31/2013? was also ticketed for driving while revoked.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No and it really is not for me I trying to help someone else figure out their options. I am not a lawyer just a friend

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I dont think she showed up for court date. I did contact the County clerk and she confirmed there is a warrant for DUI, but wouldn't tell me much more

8/23/2017
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: The statute of limitations is 2 years. Currently, under NC law, a warrant tolls the running of the statute of limitations. So if the warrant was issued within 2 years, then the prosecution was within the statute of limitations and can still move forward.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Let me clarify I must have used statue of limitations incorrectly. We know they issued a warrant and it is current. Will the warrant ever expire or go away after some amount of time.
My friend may want to call later but she is not with me now.

Remember that I don't get credit for doing my job if you do not give me a positive rating. Kindly do so by going to the top of this page and clicking on 4 or 5 stars. Thank you!

ANSWER: No, a warrant does not expire. Once issued, the only way to deal with it is in front of a judge.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars.

Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer