Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Can personal letters be used as evidence. There are no

Can personal letters be used as evidence. There are no medical records existing of when I was a patient in a Naval Hospital for 7 weeks. I have letters from family and friends addressed to me in the hospital.
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Florida. This is a case I am working on to update a discharge from the Marine Corps that I should not have received.
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: This is a discharge I received in 1983 and thanks to internet access I have found that information on my discharge is not correct. An appeal has been filed with the board of naval records corrections.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Letters to you addressed to you at the hospital are circumstantial evidence that you were at least assigned to that location. However, the contents of those letters asking about your medical condition would be more support for your stay. Many times records are not accurate and the military has to recreate records from other sources. Also, if you can get affidavits from any of the people you served with regarding your hospital stay, that would also assist in building your proof that you were in the hospital. You will have to do a little more detective work and add to the letters to prove your stay, but the letters are a very good start.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. The letters I received are very detailed about the condition I was diagnosed with. This is one of two cases I am working on regarding my enlistment. If internet access would have been available thirty years ago this case would be closed now. I look forward to doing research on this everyday to try and find cases that may be similar.

Thank you for your reply.

If the letters are detailed, then this is better for proving your case.