How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34498
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is a joint tenant with rights to survivorship with

This answer was rated:

My wife is a joint tenant with rights to survivorship with her parents. Her dad and mom both want to give up the joint tenancy and give her 100% ownership. Do they just need to fill out a quit claim form? Also, how would me as the husband get added to the house as a joint tenant
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Massachusetts
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need. I am also happy to continue online.

Yes, it is as simple as the mother and father, along with your wife, executing a quitclaim deed in favor of you and your wife as joint tenants, with right of survivorship, and recording the executed deed with the recorder of deeds for the county where the property is located.

If there is a mortgage, you will need the lender's consent, as well, to change the title.

Here is a link to a form deed you can use as a template:


Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your help.

Thank you for using JA. Best of luck.