Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If someone files false police reports only to harass, could

a complaint be filed under...
If someone files false police reports only to harass, could a complaint be filed under Abuse of Process.FIRST CAUSE OF ACTION: ABUSE OF PROCESS
Defendant made various false police reports to the Lander Police Department and the Fremont County Sheriffs Department claiming the Plaintiff shot holes into the side of Defendants home, vandalized Defendants home and cars by breaking windows and throwing [email protected] and that Plaintiff vandalized the home of C. E. Spurlock Jr on multiple occasions.
8/22/2017
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am working on your answer now. Please bear with me it may take a few minutes.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Yes you may have an action against the person who is filing false charges against you.

There are two types of action you can pursue: 1) abuse of process or 2) malicious prosecution. You may also have a defamation claim that you can pursue.

Additionally, filing false police reports is a crime itself. You may wish to contact law enforcement and file a complaint. The best way to do that is to make an appointment and go to the station to speak with a Sargent.

See this link to the law on this:

http://law.justia.com/codes/wyoming/2011/title6/chapter5/section6-5-210

As to you bringing a lawsuit, please remember these are time consuming and expensive procedures. But if you are intent on doing so this is what you need to prove:

To prove a malicious prosecution claim you must show all of the following:

• The defendant brought or continued a criminal or civil legal matter
  • There were no reasonable grounds to believe the allegations of the proceeding
  • The defendant's purpose was other than simply getting a judgment in the proceeding
  • the proceeding has terminated in the favor of the person being prosecuted or sued

In regard to Abuse of Process you can bring that action if you can prove that the defendant initiated a legal process for the purpose of harassing you.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have filed a civil suit and the Defendant's attorney has filed a motion to dismiss. The judge is saying that plaintiff has not pled a cause of action for Abuse of Process and is giving me 20 days to file an amended complaint. The judge cites the definition of "process". Please let me know if you think what I have below will fly. The Defendant did not file a no-trespass order (or could he), but his actions were instrumental in having the no-trespass filed.THIRD CAUSE OF ACTION: ABUSE OF PROCESS18. The defendant initiated a no-trespass against Plaintiff David Spurlock by alleging that he was “mentally ill”, that “he would try something like that” and that Plaintiff was “trying to harm their father” to employees at Westward Heights Care Center and to Lander police.19. There were no reasonable grounds to believe Plaintiff David Spurlock would ever try to harm his father C. E. Spurlock Jr.20. The purpose of a no-trespass order is not to harass.

It sounds like the Defendant did not directly file a complaint for the no trespass Order but rather induced others to do so.

That is your difficulty. Your focus may be better spent on a defamation style claim. If you are still intent on pursuing an abuse of process focus on the false police reports that he made that led to law enforcement's actions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Originally the suit was filed for defamation when word around town was that I tried to poison my father. One person who was spreading the rumors admitted to me and my wife that he did so but later said it was only general conversation at a table of 12. My attorney right-or-wrong dismissed the claim without prejudice saying that we would have a better chance filing a different claim. After being hounded by the defendants attorney, my attorney asked that we dismiss with prejudice saying without a witness to the said poisoning, we would not have much chance -- bad move, probably so? Anyway, what I read for abuse of process:It has also been stated that for purposes of abuse of process, "process" refers to the papers
issued by a court to bring a party or property within its jurisdiction, such as a writ
of attachment, the process used to initiate a civil action, or the process related to
the bringing of criminal charges. That is, "process," the abuse of which may
support an abuse of process claim, is not limited to the original pleadings;
depositions, motions, interrogatories and other requests for discovery, or legal
maneuverings to compel or prohibit action by an opponent all invoke the authority
of the court and are, therefore, the type of process that will support an abuse of
process.Do you believe the elements are there for Abuse of Process?

Yes if you can connect the Defendant's action to law enforcement action. But NO if you are only connecting the Defendant's action to the private civil filings of a third party.

Having said that you seem to have little to lose by trying.

You need to flesh the facts out more. You need to connect the dots of the defendant's words and actions to the No Trespass order. You are trying to argue "if not for the Defendant's actions" the No Trespass Order would not have been sought let alone issued.

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer