Tina I am a certified marriage counselor in Texas. I have a…

Customer Question
Tina I am a...

Tina I am a certified marriage counselor in Texas. I have a client who admitted to molesting both a boy and a young girl, but he has not told his wife.l They have twin sons age 2. The client's mother told the client's wife that her son really did molest the children. When the wife confronted her husband he said NO. The wife told me that this mother falsely accused her husband- but she has concerns for her sons! Am I legally responsible to tell her the truth since the sons might be privy to a child molester? This couple is in our church.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No not that I know of

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm the counselor and their pastor. I feel responsible to the mother to tell her the truth- but the husband confessed this during counseling which is confidenetial

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
8/20/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

The answer to your question is yes. This information comes directly from Baylor University. Texas law requires anyone with knowledge of suspected child abuse or neglect to report it to the appropriate authorities. This mandatory reporting applies to all individuals and is not limited to teachers or health care professionals. Section 261.101 of the Texas Family Code mandates that anyone who suspects child abuse or neglect must report it immediately. The report may be made to (1) any local or state law enforcement agency; or (2) the Department of Family and Protective Services. A person acting in good faith who reports or assists in the investigation of a report of child abuse or neglect is immune from civil or criminal liability. Failure to report suspected child abuse or neglect is a Class A Misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment of up to one year and/or a fine of up to $4,000. Merely reporting the incident to your supervisor or manager is insufficient.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer