legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

I have dash cam footage of a "mechanic" threatening my life

I have dash cam footage of a "mechanic" threatening my life and just talking negatively in general. Do I have anything?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
While my vehicle was in the shop. I wasn't present. But my dash cams record HD video and audio 24hrs a day . Which they obviously weren't aware of
If a person is recorded or videotaped without permission generally in addition to there being criminal liability for recording without permission, there may also be civil liability. If a person is in a room where they have a reasonable expectation of privacy and that privacy is violated because of an unauthorized recording, the person may sue for actual damages, and the court may also grant punitive damages.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But he turned them on
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They were installed the same day in the same place so I had never had my hands on it once
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Basically one guy installed the dash cam, then the other guy took the keys from him and did other mechanical work
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he was aware. Just stupid and must have forgot
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Does that change anything?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Even in the video footage you can clearly hear the camera say loudly "continuous recording is active"
If one person in the conversation is under the impression that they are in a private location (versus a public space) then most courts determine they have a reasonable expectation of privacy and will need to waive that in order to be recorded.
If the individual that was recorded turned the cam on one could argue implied consent but I am not familiar with any case law that has similar facts.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. Thanks