How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55716
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wish to inquire about a possible defamation case. I reside

This answer was rated:

Hello, Yes, I wish to inquire about a possible defamation case. I reside in Albuquerque, NM
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state you're in?
Customer: New Mexico
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not on my end
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No Thank you

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. How can I help?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a friend who is a single mother of three children, ages 3 - 7. I help her with handyman type work around her new house. we have been friends for nearly 10 years. She is currently in a court battle with the biological father of her 3yr old daughter for child support enforcement. On August 4th, I received a text from her stating that the father of her 3-year-old accused me of being a child molester and that he did not want me around their daughter. This accusation is totally false and without bias. I am retired military and have honorably served my country for 25 years, gone to war 6 times. I would never, ever consider harming a child, that is a disgusting and vile accusation and could destroy my military and civilian career.
My question is: Is there a legal path I can take against this person who made the accusation? I appreciate any assistance with this sensitive matter.V/R,
Michael Conroy
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The biological father was married to another lady at the time of the child's conception.

Thanks for your response. Yes, you absolutely would have a cause of action for defamation. Let me first explain what constitutes defamation. I am going to provide you information on both slander and libel since they are so closely related and so often confused with each other. They are civil injuries that harm reputation, cause a reduction in respect, regard or confidence, or cause disparaging, hostile or disagreeable opinions or feelings against an individual or entity. The laws regarding libel and slander are the same. To prevail in a defamation suit for libel or slander and recover damages, a person ("Person A") must prove 4 things: (i) another person ("Person B") conveyed a defamatory message they knew or should have known to be false; (ii) the material was published (i.e., conveyed to someone other than Person A); (iii) Person A can be identified as the person referred to in the defamatory material; and (iv) Person A suffered an injury to Person A's reputation as a result of the communication. Your facts would satisfy all the foregoing elements. Typically, before actually filing the suit, you would send them a letter detailing the situation and demanding that they: i) retract all prior defamatory statements made, ii) pay you a specified amount to compensate you for the past defamatory actions, and iii) cease and desist from making any in the future. In my experience, the letter is generally sufficient as the offending party will comply with your demands rather than risk the costs of a suit they are sure to lose, the actual and possibly punitive damages that may be imposed by a court, and the judgment being on the record.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.