I am a Manager at a large organization. We were required to…

I am a Manager at...
I am a Manager at a large organization. We were required to attend a team builder at a local charity back in May. After arriving at the charity I realized it was a religious charity. At first I did not mind to much. Helping people is helping people. During the event we were preached to about god, and on multiple occasions prayer took place. I was very uncomfortable but decided to stick it out. At the end of the event my Sr. Manager asked another Manager if she wanted to pray with her. When she realized I overheard I got somewhat of a dirty look, and they went on praying. Three weeks ago I had another Manager (they are all a part of the same click) ask me if I was a Satan worshiper based upon a start tattoo I have on my arm. Today I was informed that I am being removed from my position, but have the opportunity to apply for a lower paying position elsewhere in the company. I have never been in trouble or had any kind of corrective action. I am the highest performing Manager in my department, and am not having my livelihood destroyed. Should I reach out to an attorney or the EEOC?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/19/2017
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer

Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

What is the stated reason for why you are being removed? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

I was told that our client feels I am negative... I have never heard this from anyone before.

Thank you.

It seems that you certainly have a circumstantial case for religious discrimination. However, your challenge will likely be one of proof. If your employer can actually back up their claim that they are removing you because the client believes you are negative, that would undermine your case, since it would be clear that you were not being removed because of your religion but rather because of what the client believes about your attitude.

Before escalating this to the EEOC, I would ask your employer for some sort of proof that this is truly what the client thinks and that the reason for your removal is legitimate. If they can't provide such proof or refuse to provide it, chances are they don't have it. That would mean your case for religious discrimination is quite strong. But if they can provide proof, that I would give serious consideration as to whether you still want to move forward with the allegation, as you will face an uphill battle if your employer has concrete proof to support their stated reason for removal.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

What about the part of holding a mandatory work event at a religious institution

That is not illegal for them to do. Many employers work with religious institutions or at religious venues and employees can be required to work in such settings. It's simply illegal to take adverse employment action against an employee because of their religious beliefs.

Again if there is anything more I can do for you just let me know. It's my pleasure....

LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer